Your home is one of your most valuable possessions, along with everything inside. It is a place you want to feel safe and secure from the potential dangers of the outside world. Let MX Locksmith help you out with a few basic best practices for home security, to help create a secure environment for your loved ones and family.
Consider these home security tips to help keep you and your family, and your possessions, safe and secure:
- Get to know your neighbors. Take the time to meet and engage with people on your street and encourage them to watch out for any suspicious activity when you are not home; having a network of people within a neighborhood looking out to each other is an invaluable home security tool.
- Have a talk with your local police department. Ask your police department to come and inspect your home and property, and provide suggestions to increase home security. They can also give valuable insight on what methods thieves employ around your area; this information will help you tailor your home security to what is relevant for your location.
- View your landscape with safety in mind. As you walk around your property, look for areas that could be potential hiding spots for thieves. Try and clear away any overgrown areas to increase visibility around your home. Also, while surveying your home surroundings also take note of corners or outcroppings in your neighbors yard; even if there are no obstructions in front of your home, a thief or burglar may still try to stage an attack from close by.
- Ready a safety plan. Make sure you setup and practice a safety plan where you check and lock all doors, close and lock windows and turn on your alarm system every time you leave your home. If you can help it, avoid leaving spare keys outside, under a rock or under a welcome mat, as thieves know most potential hiding places. A well established plan will keep you in the home security mindset.
- Avoid alerting others to your shopping trends. Thieves look for and steal newly-delivered boxes on your front porch, so consider instructing your package carrier to deliver them elsewhere or require a signature upon delivery. Thieves may also look at clues provided by your trash or recycling, which will show them the types of valuables you have inside your home; strive to breakdown boxes and place them inside the proper trash receptacles.
- Protect valuables that you keep outdoors. Thieves also target sheds, garages and other outdoor buildings. Secure your grill, lawn mower, bicycles and other outdoor gear with chain locks or covers; this is especially important if you park small vehicles outside such as scooters and motorcycles.
- Lighting truly matters. Outdoor lighting, placed around your front door or in front of your garage, can be the difference between your home being targeted or avoided by thieves.. Motion-sensitive lighting can help add security and provide light when and where it is most needed. Also consider using automatic timers or smart lighting that can be programmed to turn lights on and off in various parts of the house to help make it seem like you are home; the appearance of people present deters thieves and strengthens home security efforts.
- Create a plan for when you are away or on vacation. Hold your mail, stop your papers and ask a friend or neighbor to remove flyers from your property. Make arrangements for snow removal and lawn mowing so that it is not obvious when you are away from home for extended periods of time. Also, you can let us at MX Locksmith help consult you with a home security plan!
- Manage visibility. Make sure you can see who is at your front door without opening it; automatic doorbells can alert you when someone is at your door, and can take snapshots or video on demand. Also, avoid placing valuables where they can be seen from outside your home or from the street, and do not place your home alarm panel in a place where people can see you arming it from the outside; you can consult your home security system installer for proper alarm panel placement. Visibility, just as proper lighting and vacation planning, all increase your home security without much effort or cost to you.
And that’s it! a few quick home security tips that are easy to implement, and can greatly boost your home Security!
Did you like these tips? Let us know any home security tips that you recommend in the comments below!
Also, please check out a few of our other blogs:
Are Motorcycle Locks Effective?
Motorcycle locks and security are primary concerns anytime you have to park outside for extended periods at a time. Here, we will go over the most common types of motorcycle locks and security measures, and how they stack up against potential thieves. Types of Motorcycle Locks: Your built-in steering column lock: While this lock type by itself is easily overcome by … Continue reading
MX Locksmith product feature! The Kwikset Kevo – Bluetooth Deadbolt (2nd Generation) is a one-touch smart home security deadbolt that makes your life easier, enabling you to keep track of who enters and leaves your home. Kwikset has updated the Kevo with the 2nd Gen model; straight away, the standout change is the interior design, with it’s smaller form factor: … Continue reading